Rubrics are an assessment marking tool that can be used for determining a grade and or to evaluate Competencies, Activities and ePortfolio items.
Rubrics enable the evaluation of an activity or item based on a predefined set of criteria. They can help ensure that activities and items are evaluated fairly and consistently by one person or by a team of markers.
There are two types of rubrics:
- Holistic rubrics: These are single criteria rubrics used to assess students’ overall achievement on an activity or item based on predefined achievement levels.
- Analytic rubrics: These are two-dimensional rubrics with levels of achievement as columns and assessment criteria as rows. These allow you to assess students’ achievements based on multiple criteria using a single rubric. You can assign different weights (value) to different criteria and include an overall achievement by totalling the criteria. Analytic rubrics allow you to evaluate an assessment (via Assignments). Rubrics may also be used to evaluate a Competencies activity or ePortfolio item based on more than one criterion in a single rubric.
The overall score determines whether the activity is achieved.
Create an analytic rubric
- Click on Setup on the navigation bar.
- Click on Rubrics under the Assessment heading.
- Click New Rubric in the top tool menu of the Rubric List page.
- Enter a Name.
- Select Analytic in the rubric Type dropdown box.
- Select Points, Custom Points or No Score from the Scoring dropdown menu.
- Enter the Criterion and Level details, click on + Add Criterion as required.
- Enter point information under the Levels in the top row.
- Enter feedback and point details in the Overall Score section.
- Click on Options to display additional options.
- Choose the relevant options for Rubric Visibility and Score Visibility.
- Add a description if required.
- Ensure that both boxes of Competencies and ePortfolio are checked to allow associations.
- Click on the Close button.
Note: You cannot associate a rubric with an assessment, a Competencies activity or ePortfolio item until its status is set to published.
Link rubrics to assessment items
- Do one of the following:
- An assignment activity: On the main Assignments page, click on Edit Assignment from the context menu of the assignment you wish to edit. Expand on Evaluation & Feedback.
- A grade item: From the Manage Grades area, click the name of the grade item.
- A discussion topic: On the Discussions page, click on Edit Topic from the context menu of the discussion topic you wish to edit. Then, click on Assessment tab.
- For assignment activity: Click the Add Rubrics button and select Add Existing.
For grade item and discussion topic: Click the Add Rubrics button.
- Select the Rubric you want to use from the list. Then select Add Selected.
- Click Save.