Dr Emma Hayes receives 2021 DeakinHE Fellowship

27

MAY, 2021

Recognition and awards
DeakinHE Fellowships

DeakinHE Fellowship provides those involved in learning and teaching at Deakin with formal recognition of practice, impact and leadership. This program is integrated into the new Deakin Teaching Capability Framework, that recognises a range of both academic and professional roles that contribute to teaching and learning at Deakin.

Professor Iain Martin, Vice-Chancellor recently hosted an afternoon tea to congratulate the newest group of 54 DeakinHE Fellowship recipients. Dr Emma Hayes was invited to talk about her experience in the program as a new Associate Fellow, and her speech is shared here in full.

‘I took part in the DeakinHE Fellowship program to further develop my teaching skills after working as a sessional at Deakin for seven years. I thought applying for Associate Fellowship would be a valuable opportunity to critically reflect on my teaching practices, and to gain new skills in communicating content to students. I thought it would also be a good opportunity to reflect during a challenging teaching year.

‘My experience of teaching a large number of level one students during COVID-19 highlighted that tutors can never rest on their existing knowledge and experiences, but need to continue to learn and adapt to changing circumstances. Through completing the Associate Fellowship I hoped to gain insight into designing learning activities that had the ability to cement students’ foundational knowledge, rather than quickly extending key concepts.

‘Reading and responding to the Professional Standards Framework (Areas of activity, core knowledge, professional values) and detailing my teaching and learning activities allowed me to take a step back from being in a classroom (or on Cloud) and think about how I design learning activities and teach.

‘I felt very supported throughout the program, and the opportunity to speak to Dr Julia Savage as I prepared my draft application was extremely valuable. My consultation with Dr Savage enabled me to reflect on how my participation in Faculty-based professional development programs formed part of my overall learning experience as a tutor. I had previously thought of these as separate learning experiences, but speaking with Dr Savage helped me see how these programs contributed to the “narrative” of my teaching experience.

‘The feedback and support that I received from my mentor, Assoc. Prof. Barbie Panther, was extremely valuable in helping me to establish a language with which to discuss my teaching methods. For example, Assoc. Prof. Panther helped me realise that learning activities I had designed for a Children’s Literature unit to assist students in understanding visual narration were actually employing Vygotsky’s scaffolding model. Assoc. Prof. Panther’s feedback really helped me see the teaching practices and qualities that I value as a tutor.

‘The support that I received from my Referee, Dr Paul Venzo, was invaluable throughout my application process, and I was humbled by the kind words Dr Venzo shared in support of my application.

‘I had applied for Fellowship to gain skills in teaching. Not only did I gain further skills in designing learning activities and teaching, but I left feeling more confident in those I had. Taking part in the Associate Fellowship program enabled me to see my skills.

I found taking part in the Fellowship program to be particularly valuable as a sessional tutor, because it enabled me to feel part of the Deakin teaching community.’

If you are an aspiring Associate Fellow, please register to participate in the program commencing in July.

Want new articles before they get published? Subscribe to our DTeach Newsletter.