Deakin HEA Fellows 
Profile Series 03 | Liz Johnson
01
JUL, 2019
HEA Fellowship
Teaching & Learning
Recognition
By Liz Johnson, Deputy Vice Chancellor of Education and recipient of Deakin University’s second HEA Principal Fellowship.
Why did you apply for the HEA fellowship?

I applied for a fellowship to get to grips with the fellowship system and to better understand the UK Professional Standards Framework. It is often easier to engage with a conceptual framework through a real-world example. Using yourself as your own guinea pig certainly brings the dimensions of the UK-PSF to life – and, of course, international benchmarks are a useful barometer for our achievement. It was good to see the close match between the UK-PSF and our own priorities for teaching excellence.

“You will probably find the application challenging but it is useful – not just for the recognition as a HEA fellow but because you will have more language and evidence at your fingertips…”
What have you got out of the experience?

Reflection is both challenging and rewarding. Reviewing my own teaching journey in depth made me think hard about the core of my learning and teaching philosophy – what is really most important to me as a teacher and why. Writing the fellowship application also brought to life what the UK-PSF values mean in practice as I described evidence of application. It is a privilege to read applications from others and find the many diverse and clever ways colleagues apply the elements of the framework.

What advice would you give others contemplating joining the program?

Don’t put it off! You will probably find the application challenging but it is useful – not just for the recognition as a HEA fellow but because you will have more language and evidence at your fingertips to talk about your work in other channels. I can see a real community of practice building around the HEA Fellowship Scheme which embraces everyone that contributes to student learning and that is a good group to belong to.

Want new articles before they get published? Subscribe to our DTeach Newsletter.